The most senior Catholic official charged with concealing child abuse is awaiting his fate as a NSW magistrate decides whether to proceed with the case against him.
Two former altar boys claim they told then assistant priest Philip Wilson in 1976 that priest James Fletcher sexually assaulted them.
Fletcher was found guilty of child sexual abuse and died in jail in 2006.
The defence barrister for Wilson, now the Archbishop of Adelaide, said the case was circumstantial and there was no evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt Wilson had been told about the abuse, believed it was true or remembered being told about it.
Magistrate Robert Stone, on Tuesday, told the Newcastle Local Court he hoped to decide whether Wilson had "no case to answer" by noon on Wednesday. But the ruling could come as late as Thursday.