News

Xenophon, Marshall face off at debate

by
February 16, 2018

Liberal leader Steven Marshall (pic) is set to debate SA-BEST leader Nick Xenophon in Adelaide.

The leaders of two of South Australia's three major parties will face off at a debate hosted by the Property Council.

Liberal leader Steven Marshall and SA-BEST leader Nick Xenophon will go head-to-head on Friday on a range of issues before the writs for the March state election are issued the following day.

Premier Jay Weatherill last month declined an invitation to participate because of "other priorities".

He characterised the debate as a contest of conservatives.

"Nick Xenophon has witnessed the capitulation of the Liberals under Steven Marshall and is taking full advantage," he said.

"He wants to be the Liberal Party leader."

Property Council executive director Daniel Gannon said the debate will be attended by business and industry leaders, and expects the focus will be on policies instead of politics.

It will be the leaders' third debate ahead of polling day, after they faced off in front of the Press Club and Women in Media earlier this month.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text