News

Baby may have suffocated in cot: doctor

by
February 15, 2018

Toys placed in a baby's cot by her drug-addict mother may have tragically led to her death (file).

The crowded cot of a Sydney baby posed a "potentially dangerous sleeping environment" that may have led to accidental suffocation, a forensic pathologist has told a NSW coroner.

An inquest is examining the sudden deaths of two half-sisters, known as BLGN and DG, who were three months and 19 days old, respectively, when they died in 2014 and 2015.

Police found an ice pipe on top of a baby steriliser at the house the day BLGN was discovered unmoving in her crib, which was filled with numerous soft toys, blankets, an adult-sized pillow and two baby bottles.

"If those were over the nose and the mouth it's quite possible BLGN could not breathe properly," Professor Roger Byard told Glebe Coroner's Court on Thursday.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text