News

Trump visit 'would have provoked protests'

by
January 12, 2018

Donald Trump has reportedly abandoned plans to visit Britain in February to open a new embassy.

Donald Trump has reportedly abandoned plans to visit Britain in February for the opening of the new United States embassy.

The Daily Mail reports that Government officials have been told the US president has backed away from the idea.

Downing Street has refused to comment on the report and the US embassy in London was unavailable for comment.

It comes despite Prime Minister Theresa May saying last week that Mr Trump "will be coming to this country".

May controversially extended the offer of a state visit when she became the first world leader to meet Trump in the White House following his inauguration last year.

Since then, however, the president has indicated he does not want to take up the invitation if he is going to face mass demonstrations.

Last month, the White House said it will announce details "soon" of Trump's proposed visit to the UK.

May and Trump fell out spectacularly in November over his retweeting of anti-Muslim videos posted online by the deputy leader of the far-right Britain First group, Jayda Fransen.

At the time, the PM said Trump was "wrong" to retweet the videos, and the US president hit back at May on Twitter by telling her to focus on "destructive radical Islamic terrorism" in the UK, rather than on him.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text