News

Talks continue on abuse redress scheme

by
November 15, 2017

Christian Porter is confident many states will opt into the commonwealth redress scheme.

Further talks have been held with the states in a bid to have them sign up to the federal government's scheme to compensate victims of child sexual abuse.

Meetings were convened with state and territory attorneys-general and separately with representatives of institutions in Sydney on Wednesday.

Social Services Minister Christian Porter said they focused on administrative matters, after legislation for the commonwealth redress scheme was introduced into federal parliament last month.

"We had a very constructive meeting with the states and territories which focused on a small number of what are largely matters regarding the ongoing administration of the scheme which can be resolved to allow opt-in decisions by state and territory governments in the not-too-distant future," he said in a statement to AAP.

The scheme so far only covers those people sexually abused as children in commonwealth and territory institutions or about 1000 of an estimated 60,000 institutional child sex abuse survivors.

Mr Porter last month said he was confident of getting a great number of churches and charities and many states to opt into the scheme, despite South Australia's firm opposition.

The Catholic Church's Truth Justice and Healing Council has warned tens of thousands of people sexually abused as children will miss out on compensation unless all states opt in.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text