News

Alleged laneway rapist denied bid

by
August 11, 2017

A 32-year-old man has been denied bail after being charged with raping a woman in Brisbane in 2011.

A New South Wales man accused of violently raping a woman along with another man in South Brisbane six years ago has been denied bail.

The 32-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been in custody since he was extradited to Queensland in December 2016.

It is alleged he and a younger man, now aged 25, set upon a woman as she was walking along Manning Street one night in April 2011.

The pair allegedly forced the 20-year-old victim into a laneway and violently raped her.

The Brisbane Supreme Court heard on Friday the woman's injuries were such that an experienced forensic doctor who examined her immediately afterwards said it was hard to believe what happened could have been consensual.

Crown prosecutor Jacqueline Malouf said both men's DNA had been found on a cigarette butt at the scene and telephone towers placed them in the area at the time of the attack.

The court heard the younger man's DNA had also been found on the victim's pants and in a police-intercepted call had told his father the woman had consented to the sex.

Justice Jean Dalton said the Crown had quite a strong case against the NSW man, although the case against the younger man, the principal offender, was stronger.

Justice Dalton said there was an unacceptable risk the older man would not honour his bail conditions and appear in court, given he would likely "serve every day" of his sentence if convicted.

She also noted he was accused of telling a witness in the case not to give a statement to police and there was a "real risk" he could interfere with other witnesses.

The man's case will be mentioned in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on August 21.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text