News

Appeal in Salt Creek case delayed

by
July 17, 2017

The Salt Creek assault case will return to court in Adelaide on Monday.

Salt Creek attacker Roman Heinze is due to return to court in South Australia as he seeks to have his conviction and 17-year sentence for attacking two young backpackers on a remote beach overturned.

Heinze was sentenced in May after being found guilty of six charges including aggravated kidnapping and endangering life in relation to his attacks on the two women at the remote beach on the SA Coorong in February last year.

His case comes before the Court of Criminal Appeal on Monday where he will seek leave to contest his convictions and the sentence imposed.

The 61-year-old met his victims through the Gumtree website, where the Brazilian and German women had advertised for a ride to Melbourne.

He drove the women to isolated sand dunes and after setting up camp launched his violent assaults.

That included tying up and sexually assaulting the Brazilian woman and using a hammer to hit the German woman on the head several times before trying to repeatedly run her over with his 4WD.

In sentencing Heinze, Justice Trish Kelly said he had not shown the slightest remorse or contrition for any of his crimes and there were no reasonable prospects of rehabilitation.

"In fact, the totality of the evidence convinces me, that if undetected, your offending would have continued and quite probably escalated," she said.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text