News

Bail continued for NSW prison guard

by
July 13, 2017

Sharon Yarnton will remain on bail until a new trial in June 2018.

A former Sydney prison guard accused of trying to kill her husband in a planned car explosion will remain on bail, despite the discovery of new evidence and a "very strong" case against her.

Sharon Yarnton, 50, had been facing a District Court trial with Monique Hayes, 25, and Fady Houda, 24, over an alleged 2015 attempt to murder her husband at Picnic Point, in Sydney's southwest.

The Crown applied for Yarnton and Hayes to be detained after the discovery of deleted Facebook messages between the pair, which led to the trial being aborted last month.

Both women cried as NSW Supreme Court Justice Michael Walton refused the detention applications on Thursday, allowing the pair to remain on bail until their new trial in June next year.

Justice Walton told the court he assessed the Crown's case against Yarnton as being "very strong".

The case against Ms Hayes was somewhat weaker but still "strong", he said.

Both Hayes and Yarnton had been on bail for some time without breaches and they would spend considerable time in custody before trial if detained, the court heard.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text