News

Clash as blinding accused leave Vic court

by
July 11, 2017

Supporters of Bradley Elmore-Jeffries (obscured, centre) scuffle with the media as he leaves court.

A supporter of two young men who allegedly blinded a scientist in a Melbourne nightclub has shoved cameramen outside court.

Brent Moresco, 19, and Bradley Elmore-Jeffries, 21, have been charged with a number of offences after allegedly assaulting 26-year-old Elliot Harvey on May 27.

Following the pair's appearance in Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, a man clashed with media, sending a photographer and camera operator falling to the ground.

AAP photographer Joe Castro says he was pushed and shoved during the incident, falling onto the road in front of the court.

Castro also witnessed a Channel Seven camera operator being injured, falling heavily and suffering a bruise to his cheek and broken equipment.

He says Elmore-Jeffries and supporters got into their car and attempted to reverse in the middle of thick traffic before smashing the front of their car into another vehicle's tow ball.

Mr Harvey, who lives at Rosebud, has undergone two operations on his right eye since the attack.

He is now unable to work in his job as an environmental scientist.

Police allege that on the night of the attack, the men argued outside the Brunswick nightclub about 10pm before returning inside.

The men allegedly took offence to Mr Harvey's man-bun hairdo.

Moresco and Jeffries allegedly returned a few hours later and punched Mr Harvey in the head.

Mr Harvey then fell to the ground where the men allegedly continued assaulting him.

The men fled before police arrived, but were arrested the following week after investigators released CCTV footage from the night in question.

The two Wonthaggi men had earlier been granted bail before their court appearance on Tuesday.

Their bail was extended and the pair will reappear in Melbourne Magistrates' Court on October 3.

By
More in National
Login Sign Up

Dummy text