The South Australian government has kicked off budget week with big spending commitments on hospitals, signalling health will be a key battleground at next year's state election.
Thursday's budget will be the fourth for Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis and the last before the state goes to the polls in March next year.
On Sunday the government announced a $2 billion spending program for Adelaide's suburban hospitals but has only detailed the $250 million it plans to spend on the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
The cash injection will include a new emergency department, operating theatre and day surgery suite along with new outpatient and medical imaging services at the western suburbs facility.
The QEH will also become home for SA's most advanced brain and spinal injury rehabilitation service while cardiac services, which had been slated to move will now remain, along with cancer and respiratory services.
Premier Jay Weatherill says the spending commitment at the QEH and at other hospitals will deliver state-of-the-art health care.
"This is what Labor does. Public health care is one of Labor's great policy projects," he said.
The hospital program is also a clear indication infrastructure spending will feature heavily in the budget which will reaffirm the government's recent commitments to energy security by building a new gas-fired power station and Australia's largest battery to store renewable energy.